Sunday, June 3, 2012

Why We Don't Have Nice Things...(and neither should our friends)

Does Hallmark make a card that says 'I'm sorry my baby pooped all over the wall and carpet in your guest room, but we really had a lovely time and would like to visit again'?

Well, they should.

This weekend we were visiting our awesome friends B & K whose son is only 5 days younger than the twins. This was our first non-family overnight with the babies, and the first non-family-with-two-4-month-olds overnight hosting situation for our friends. No one quite knew what to expect.

Nolan and Nora were a bit cranky, but we were still able to get them and baby J put down for bed relatively easily. The adults were then able to relax a bit, have a drink or two, laugh, and try to remember what life was like before babies. It was a lot of fun even though, compared to a year ago, there were fewer drinks consumed and a much earlier bedtime for us all!

We all headed to bed: Corey and  I in one bedroom with the baby monitor, and the babies in their Pack n Plays in another. Around 4am we heard Nora start to fuss so Corey went to check it out. I remained in bed half-asleep, half-listening to what was going on in the other room. I heard the rustlings of a diaper being changed, nothing big. Suddenly out of the relative silence through the monitor I hear the unmistakable squishy-splat sound of a large, forceful and all-together unexpected bowel movement.

"Oh God!" came the desperate whisper of my husband through the monitor speaker. 

I jumped out of bed to come to my partner's aid. Rushing into the room I can see the horror of what happened reflected in Corey's eyes. Nora apparently exploded. Everywhere. Poo. Everywhere. It was all over her sleeper, blanket, and body. It was covering the dresser on which we had set up a changing station. There was poo on the wall and on the Pack n Play. It was all over the white carpet of the bedroom. Let me take a moment to remind you that we were guests here...these were not our things covered in feces, rather our friends'. Dear God.

So, at 4am, exhausted and slightly hungover (from the whole 2.5 drinks I consumed) I run downstairs and start going through our friends' cabinets looking for old towels, carpet cleaner, disinfectant, a bucket. Anything. We frantically cleaned up our daughter and as much of the poo as we could in the dark. Oh, did I mention we did this silently in the dark so we wouldn't wake up Nolan? Yeah.

We ended up getting everything cleaned up eventually and we got Nora back to sleep. There was kind of an awkward moment at breakfast when we had to explain to B & K what had happened, but of course they were great about it. Overall, I'd say it was a good visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment